By Rob Stewart - JustMastering.com - Last updated August 7, 2017
I have created a Microsoft Excel-based (Prototype) GUI for the popular SoX (Sound eXchange) SRC (Sample Rate Converter). Why would I do this? SoX is an extremely high quality sample rate converter that is suitable for use in audio mastering. It is command line based, though, and I prefer to use GUIs. I wanted to create a user interface for SoX with features that would make it easier to use, such as:
- easily select most of the SoX SRC configuration options
- automatically run SRC and format conversions on single files
- automatically create an icon on my desktop that I can drag and drop files to for batch conversion
- tag each file with the settings chosen (dither type, quality level etc.)
- keep an ongoing log, for troubleshooting purposes
Below is my work in progress. This is prototype GUI was developed in Office 2007, on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I hope, someday, to be able to convert this into a standalone desktop tool. Please contact me if you have any questions. Enjoy :)!
Download SoX SRC Excel-Based GUI:
- You need Microsoft Windows and Office (Excel) 2007 or higher to run this GUI.
- You need a version of SoX Sound eXchange Sample Rate Converter installed. The tool is designed for version 14.4.0, but you can change that in the "Config" tab (note that older versions may not be 100% compatible).
If you find this SoX GUI tool useful, please consider...
|Support SoX Sample Rate converter directly||Without the SoX converter program itself, this prototype would just be an empty spreadsheet. Consider donating to their cause at http://sox.sourceforge.net.|
|Adding a link to JustMastering.com to your website||Adding a link back to JustMastering.com would help me immensely :)!|
||Tell me what you think of the work in progress, and what features you'd like added (within the limits of SoX of course!).|
||Like JustMastering.com on FaceBook. I appreciate any support you can provide to help spread the word :)!|
||Follow JustMastering.com on Google+. Once again, I appreciate any support you can provide to help spread the word.|
- PC running Windows XP or higher.
- Must have SoX v14.4.0 installed (available at http://sox.sourceforge.net)
- Must have Microsoft Excel 2007 (or higher) installed (available at Microsoft.com)
What this GUI Tool does:This Excel workbook writes batch files based on the choices you make in the GUI, and then runs them! It will not do the actual processing itself, it just writes the command lines necessary to make SoX work. It does store a history of all major operations in case you wish to go back and look at what it did (by date).
Bearing this in mind, this tool is limited only by what you can do with the SoX command line executable file, but to keep the tool relatively simple, not all SoX features/options have been included. Instead, I have focused mainly on the sample rate and audio file format conversion features since that's what I use for my audio mastering work.
It is also important to note that if you experience any difficulties with the tool, a good first step is to check the "Action Log" tab to see the command line that was created, and then check that against the SoX documentation, just in case you have chosen command line options that are not applicable for the file format or sample rate. The tool does have some "intelligence" built in, in that it will warn you if certain settings aren't valid, but again for simplicity, I couldn't add every check and balance.
- This product comes with no warranty or guarantee. I hope you find it useful but please remember to use it at your own risk, and test it first before using it for mission critical work. Rob Stewart and/or JustMastering.com will not be held liable for any damages resulting from the use of this tool.
- This is a prototype, and it has only been tested on Microsoft Excel 2007 and Excel 2010 running on Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)
- This workbook uses Macros. In order for it to function correctly, you may need to adjust the macro security settings within Excel.
Planned Updates for a future release:
- User override settings (to allow you to add your own switches if necessary)
- Storing and retrieving "favourite SRC settings"
SoX SRC Excel-Based GUI - Version History
Updated Jan 13, 2013, has the following enhancements (see "Version Enhancements" tab within the tool for more detail)
Updated Jan 12, 2013, has the following enhancements (see "Version Enhancements" tab within the tool for more detail)
Updated Jan 10, 2013, has the following enhancements (see "Version Enhancements" tab within the tool for more detail)
Updated Jan 9, 2013, has the following enhancements (see V1.1 Enhancements tab within the tool for more detail)
||First version made available, Dec 23, 2012.|